[Maas-devel] We might want to upgrade to celery 3.0

Julian Edwards julian.edwards at canonical.com
Mon Nov 4 07:25:18 UTC 2013

It came out in June last year but seems not to be packaged as the celery
in Saucy is still on the same version that was distributed with Quantal.

There's a few nice changes:

- new api (old one still available)
- chaining of tasks now possible, also with callbacks on groups of tasks
- uses librabbitmq C lib instead of py-amqp (one fewer Python dependency)
- threadless; performs better
- Now uses a single "celery" command line which wraps up some
interesting management commands.
- runs on Python 3

Also while I am talking about celery, I noticed that it has fanout
queues called "Broadcast" queues.  This will enable us to easily solve
the region worker SPoF problem.

Sadly there doesn't seem to be anything built-in to detect missing
workers, so we'll probably have to DIY that.