[Maas-devel] New packaging branch to test

Julian Edwards julian.edwards at canonical.com
Fri Sep 28 07:50:06 UTC 2012

On Thursday 27 September 2012 17:43:58 Andres Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi Julian,
>
> So I have tested the package and so far seems working as expected. I
> have yet to test a few things.

\o/

> Issues identified are:
>
> 1. dbconfig-common needs to handle the a database for the
> maas-region-controller instead of maas. This has been uploaded to the
> package in the PPA.
>
> https://launchpadlibrarian.net/117549060/maas_0.1%2Bbzr1085%
> 2Bdfsg-0ubuntu1%2Bppa0_0.1%2Bbzr1085%2Bdfsg-0ubuntu1%2Bppa1.diff.gz
>
> The patch is here though. Please apply it.
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/1231235/

All done, thanks.

> 2. maas-cluster-controller echo's a config file
> "/etc/maas/maas_api.conf"
> This means that when we remove the package this config file is left and
> not removed. 2 ways to handle this.
>
> 2.1 Install the config file from the package itself (much preferred) so
> that removes are handled automatically.
> 2.2. On maas-cluster-controller.postrm we need to remove the file on a
> purge manually. (I prefer 2.1 because is less prone to errors. This
> would mean however that the config file will need to be edited with, say
> sed.)

I've done it as 2.1.  I also renamed the file in the process, it's
maas_cluster.conf now.

> 3. Currently, the only file that is requiring manual intervention on
> upgrade is maas_local_settings.py. If NO is selected, installation
> fails. So we need to find a way to handle this automatically, to not
> require user's interaction.

I also had a question pop up from the cluster-controller config - this is the
thing we talked about at length the other day.

I put some stuff in to try and autodetect the info it needs by looking at
/etc/maas/maas_local_settings.py but I don't know why it didn't work.  Can you
check maas-cluster-controller.config for me please?

> Hope this helps. I will continue testing, most likely tomorrow early
> morning.

Very helpful, thanks.

> Note that I have also added "-x" and random messages to the
> postinst/postrm scripts to be able to debug this. I know it is annoying
> but it really helps helping me debug.

I didn't see any -x or messages anywhere in your diff.

> Cheers.

Thanks - I hope I get some overlap with you later.  I've tested the latest
package on a canonistack instance and it seems pretty good to me - look in
ppa:maas-maintainers/experimental.