[Maas-devel] DHCP packaging

Gavin Panella gavin.panella at canonical.com
Thu Sep 20 13:32:43 UTC 2012

On 20 September 2012 14:13, Andres Rodriguez <...> wrote:
> Now, in order to get the cluster-controller, region-controller etc, we
> need to make several packaging changes. After talking to Raphael, I
> think a good start would be:
>
>  * maas
>    - Depends: python-django-maas, python-maas-provisioningserver,
> maas-region-controller, maas-cluster-controller
>  * python-django-maas
>    - Installs: src/maasserver, src/metadataserver
>  * python-maas-provisioningserver
>    - Installs: src/provisioningserver

We could merge these into a single package, python-maas, say? That
won't make a lot of difference to disk usage, but perhaps it's
distasteful, or unclean?

>  * maas-region-controller:
>    - Installs: maas-txlongpoll upstart job, installs DB, installs
> apache2, etc.
>    - Depends: python-django-maas, python-maas-provisioningserver
>  * maas-cluster-controller
>    - Installs: maas-pserv, maas-celery upstart job
>    - Depends: python-maas-provisioningserver

Add to that a package for the CLI, which is designed to be installed
on its own. maas-region-controller and maas-cluster-controller should
depend on it.

Fwiw, the CLI bundles client API code, so it may be worth renaming the
maas-cli package to maas-client, to indicate that it comes with both a
CLI and client libs. Or... because the client code is Python, we could
have:

  * maas-cli
    - Depends: python-maas-client
  * python-maas-client
    - Installs: src/apiclient

That's even more work, so up to you.

> Now, I think it would be a good idea to create a different packaging
> branch, such as: lp:~maas-maintainers/maas/packaging.cluster, which is
> stacked on top of lp:~maas-maintainers/maas/packaging, so others can
> work on it and we can also benefit from fixes that hit the packaging
> branch.

I assume you don't mean "stacked" in the bzr sense?

> Either way I'd like to upload a new release to the Archives *before* we
> go ahead with the package split.

Once that upload has been made, what need is there for another branch?
We have history if we need to go back.