[Maas-devel] MAAS testing: maas - 0.1+bzr1002+dfsg-0+1030+87~ppa0~quantal1

Julian Edwards julian.edwards at canonical.com
Thu Sep 20 02:01:36 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 19 September 2012 19:18:38 Diogo Matsubara wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> today I tested maas - 0.1+bzr1002+dfsg-0+1030+87~ppa0~quantal1 from
> the dailybuilds PPA[1].
>
> I'm going to copy this package to the QAed PPA as the installation
> worked completely from start to end and I was able to enlist,
> commission 4 nodes and bootstrap the juju environment.

Excellent!

> The hostname name now shows the ip address with dashes instead of dots
> and the .master suffix (e.g. 192-168-21-13.master). Having the IP
> there is really helpful but I'm not sure about the .master suffix, is
> that correct for it to work with Avahi?

No, you need to set .local as the default domain on the settings page to make
Avahi work.  (Note that once a node is up and installed, you can't change
hostname/domain name easily, it has to be deallocated and re-installed.)

.master is the default domain when using MAAS's DNS (we aim to make this
configurable for 12.10).

> But the MAAS server logged a file not found error in maas.log. Filed
> bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/+bug/1053143

I've triaged that as low, it doesn't hurt anything.  It just needs to return a
404 instead of raising an exception internally.

> $ juju status
> 2012-09-19 19:05:35,704 INFO Connecting to environment...
> 2012-09-19 19:05:36,540 ERROR Invalid host for SSH forwarding: ssh:
> Could not resolve hostname 192-168-21-13.master: Name or service not
> known
>
> which is bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/+bug/1044427, but I
> confirmed the bootstrapped environment is started by ssh into it.

This will work if you configure your DNS to point at the MAAS DNS server and
set the search domain to "master".

So in resolv.conf you'd have:
nameserver <ip address>
search master

However I agree that returning an IP address would be nicer so things "just
work".

Thanks for the testing!  We're going to have a multiple cluster package soon
(for managing multiple subnets), are you prepared in the lab for testing this?

Cheers.