[Maas-devel] Help trying to use a local mirror for installs using MAAS.

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 4 13:46:22 UTC 2012

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012, Andres Rodriguez wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> I'm new to MAAS, and at the moment I'm on an isolated network. Is there any
> > available documentation supporting the use of local mirrors for repos?
> > Also, I see that MAAS seemingly has hard coded values to use for precise,
> > are there any workarounds available for installing different releases?
> >

> Currently, MAAS only supports the deployment of Precise. However, I believe
> the support will be added for the next MAAS release.
>
> Now, as far as supporting a mirror, MAAS itself currently doesn't support
> changing the default mirror, but should also be possible in the next MAAS
> release. However, you can still do this by manually editing a file. This
> file is:
>
> /var/lib/cobbler/snippets/maas_proxy
>
> You would have to update the obtions that look like:
>
> d-i     mirror/country string manual
> d-i     mirror/http/hostname string archive.ubuntu.com
> d-i     mirror/http/directory string /ubuntu
>
> To something like:
>
> d-i     mirror/country string manual
> d-i     mirror/http/hostname string 102.168.1.1/path/to/archive
> d-i     mirror/http/directory string /ubuntu
>
> Furthermore, MAAS has a proxy for deb mpackages. If you wish to disable it,
> you could do so by removing the following line from the same file above:
>
> d-i     mirror/http/proxy string http://@@server@@:8000/
>
> Hope this information helps. Also note that this will be changed in the
> next MAAS release as support will be added.

There is a question on this topic at [1].
Note, cloud-init will very annoyingly overwrite these settings.

The solutions there aren't fully baked.  The answer there by 'Michael' is
incorrect, as preseed values do not append.  And apparently my answer to
him didn't work, although i would have expected it to.

The bug opened for this as
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cloud-init/+bug/1006966 .

imo fully offline mirrors being fully functional is requirement for
quantal maas.

--
[1] http://askubuntu.com/questions/144393/how-to-let-maas-cloud-init-client-select-internal-mirror