[Maas-devel] commit messages

Gavin Panella gavin.panella at canonical.com
Thu Aug 30 13:52:05 UTC 2012

On 29 August 2012 13:56, Scott Moser <smoser at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> [bug=] NodeGroups update_leases API call.

On Launchpad, since 2007/2008, we probably would have phrased the
above like:

  Introduce update_leases API call, so that cluster controllers can
  push DHCP lease information to the region controller. Previously
  this was being done by splicing a base4 representation of the leases
  into a chicken's DNA and encouraging it to cross the road.

The longer description would remain in the merge proposal.

I like this. The merge proposal description is for a small audience at
a particular moment, and as such I can assume some context. A commit
message is for posterity and so requires more care to craft. I don't
read commit messages enough to be convinced that the effort is worth
it.

Is this an acceptable middle-ground Scott? I have no objections if you
or anyone else wants to write longer commit messages. I'm just being
hacker-lazy.