[Maas-devel] Notes on upgrading from 12.04 package to latest

Andres Rodriguez andres.rodriguez at canonical.com
Thu Aug 23 19:02:20 UTC 2012

Hi Julian,

So since I just got back this week, and after another review, these are
my thoughts:

>  * yui3 and python-tx-tftp packages missing in precise (I backported them to
> the daily PPA for now)

As mentioned earlier, yui3/python-tx-tftp do not exist in precise and
they are being shipped on maas trunk so a different packaging branch is
needed for Precise, which I will make available once Quantal MAAS works.

>  * when installing, there's nasty conflicts on /etc/maas/pserv.yaml and
> /etc/maas/maas_local_settings.py - probably ok to just let user reconfigure
> but if they miss the new settings things will not work. I don't know what
> policy dictates here.

Conflicts are due to the fact that upstream config files change and
cannot be merged. The upgrade path here is to tell dpkg to upgrade the
config files until we handle this automatically.

>  * The maas-provision package is not being removed

This has been fixed already in packaging.

>  * TFTP settings in pserv.yaml are commented out, plus:
>    * pserv.yaml has an incorrect default port setting for TFTP
>    * pserv.yaml has an incorrect generator setting

As per my discussion with allenap these were not needed to be
uncommented as they were defaults. If they need to it is much simpler to
make the necessary changes upstream.

>  * dnsmasq not disabled/uninstalled
>  * TFTP not disabled/uninstalled
Aware of this.

>  * isc-dhcp-server not installed/enabled
>  * maas-dhcp needs to change to generate the new dhcp config with "maas-
> provision generate-dhcp-config"

maas-dhcp is simply a meta-package for maas-dns. However, I'm in the
process of changing this to have DNS/DHCP in separate meta-packages.

> Other problems I noticed:
>
>  * syslog contained:
> Aug 23 16:23:24 maas kernel: [10491.309651] init: maas-pserv main process
> (26888) terminated with status 1
> Aug 23 16:23:24 maas kernel: [10491.309698] init: maas-pserv main process
> ended, respawning
>  over and over and there were no errors in pserv.log to help diagnose this.
> In this case I found out I had messed up the config file by running the pserv
> manually and examining stdout - the users really need to see these errors!
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/+bug/1040465
>
>  * The pserv.yaml "generator" URL doesn't accept IP addresses in the host part
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/+bug/1040458

These are upstream related issues :)

>  * A booting node's PXE client shows "TFTP Access violation" on its console
> This is because the packaged TFTP doesn't contain some fixes we're carrying in
> the maas trunk branch.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/maas/+bug/1040475

I was not aware of this. the quantal package of python-tx-tftp should
have had the same patches that are in trunk. If not, then changes were
made in trunk that were not communicated to us to update packaging
patch. (Thought I asked allenap and they should be the same)

>  * maas-import-pxe-files blows up
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/+bug/1040462

Fixed.

Hope this info helps. I'm addressing these issues already.