[Maas-devel] Notes on upgrading from 12.04 package to latest

Julian Edwards julian.edwards at canonical.com
Thu Aug 23 07:52:45 UTC 2012

Today I installed the 12.04 package and attempted to upgrade to the latest
daily PPA package.  I found a lot of problems:

 * yui3 and python-tx-tftp packages missing in precise (I backported them to
the daily PPA for now)

 * when installing, there's nasty conflicts on /etc/maas/pserv.yaml and
/etc/maas/maas_local_settings.py - probably ok to just let user reconfigure
but if they miss the new settings things will not work. I don't know what
policy dictates here.

 * The maas-provision package is not being removed

 * TFTP settings in pserv.yaml are commented out, plus:
   * pserv.yaml has an incorrect default port setting for TFTP
   * pserv.yaml has an incorrect generator setting

 * dnsmasq not disabled/uninstalled

 * TFTP not disabled/uninstalled

 * isc-dhcp-server not installed/enabled

 * maas-dhcp needs to change to generate the new dhcp config with "maas-
provision generate-dhcp-config"

Other problems I noticed:

 * syslog contained:
Aug 23 16:23:24 maas kernel: [10491.309651] init: maas-pserv main process
(26888) terminated with status 1
Aug 23 16:23:24 maas kernel: [10491.309698] init: maas-pserv main process
ended, respawning
 over and over and there were no errors in pserv.log to help diagnose this.
In this case I found out I had messed up the config file by running the pserv
manually and examining stdout - the users really need to see these errors!
https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/+bug/1040465

 * The pserv.yaml "generator" URL doesn't accept IP addresses in the host part
https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/+bug/1040458

 * A booting node's PXE client shows "TFTP Access violation" on its console
This is because the packaged TFTP doesn't contain some fixes we're carrying in
the maas trunk branch.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/maas/+bug/1040475

 * maas-import-pxe-files blows up
https://bugs.launchpad.net/maas/+bug/1040462