[Maas-devel] Clock skew and OAuth

Robie Basak robie.basak at canonical.com
Mon Aug 20 15:41:06 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 04:32:43PM +0100, Gavin Panella wrote:
> On 7 August 2012 09:26, Robie Basak <robie.basak at canonical.com> wrote:
> > Rather than using a new mechanism, why not use the kernel command line
> > which we must always have anyway?
>
> I'm convinced :) Can you file a bug about it, linking back to this conversation?

Scott pointed out a flaw in this to me offline. I had assumed that the
clock is only wrong by being in the past, and this solution will not
address the problem of the clock being wrong by being in the future.

But AIUI now, this is problem on machines which have previously been
running on other OSes with the hardware clock set to local time rather
than UTC.

This may completely wipe out my proposal, since we can only safely move
the time towards the future with this plan, and not towards the past.

Robie