[Maas-devel] Support for ARM PXE booting, esp. in absence of control over DHCP

Gavin Panella gavin.panella at canonical.com
Mon Aug 20 13:03:08 UTC 2012

On 20 August 2012 13:48, Robert Collins <robert.collins at canonical.com> wrote:
> Thats going to have substantial implications in development effort and
> product complexity. Can you enlarge on the use case(s) that caused us
> to invalidate 'assume we have dedicated DHCP controlled by MAAS' ?

It was clear in the IoM that we have to support this use-case, where
users want to continue managing their networks their own way. We
thrashed through some of this during that week, and it looks like we
can do it without /too/ much bother.

The experience of using MAAS without its own DHCP control may differ
from the experience of using it, but only in minor ways, and that's
okay. The idea is to make it as good as possible and present the users
with the choice. For example, publishing custom hostnames to DNS might
be trickier, or fragile, and we ought to be able to present that as a
reason to choose MAAS's DHCP.

This week we're all concentrating on getting MAAS ready for the 12.04
point release, but next week we will be spending a lot more time on
design, and getting agreement on the stories for 12.10, all stuff we
didn't finish during the IoM sprint.