[lubuntu-users] Lubuntu 22.04 LTS is released!

Aaron Rainbolt arraybolt3 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 16:53:54 UTC 2022

If you think ads are messing up your browsing, install an adblocker.
They're available as browser add-ons for both Firefox and Chrome. I use
Adblocker Ultimate, and I've also had good success with AdGuard. Even if
you have a more capable machine, adblockers are a good idea for security
reasons, since ads can sometimes attempt to install malware on your
computer without you even having to click the ad. And these malicious
advertisements have occasionally snuck onto legitimate websites. Install an
adblocker, and you're happy.

As far as the increased resource usage, I would suspect Snaps are the
problem. Firefox is now distributed as a Snap package in Lubuntu 22.04, and
the Snap package system has quite a bit of extra overhead compared to the
old way of doing things (where Firefox was just installed straight into the
system via the apt package system). Having Firefox distributed as a Snap is
a fantastic decision from a security standpoint (if something hacks your
browser, it might be able to get your passwords, but your files are more
likely to be safe), but it also isn't awesome for performance and can cause
some compatibility issues.

If you want to give it a whirl, you can install an official, non-Snap
version of Firefox directly from Mozilla by following Mozilla's directions.
You'll probably lose all your browsing history, bookmarks, and saved or
autogenerated passwords, so ensure you're prepared for that (back up your
passwords and bookmarks). Once you're ready, here's the instructions:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-firefox-linux#w_install-firefox-from-mozilla-builds-for-advanced-users
You probably should run "sudo snap remove firefox" before completing step 6
in the installation process. This should start up faster and be less
resource-intensive.