[lubuntu-users] does latest 20.04.1 have the zfs option duing install?

Walter Lapchynski wxl at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 28 22:19:24 UTC 2020

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 06:03:27PM -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I missed seeing the zfs option during install of lubuntu 20.04.1

No, you didn't miss it. It's not there. We don't use the Ubiquity
installer that Ubuntu uses, but instead use Calamares. So far, Calamares
has yet to offer ZFS support, though there's reason to believe the
partioner (KPMCore) can handle it.

The major issue, if anything, is the issue of licensing. Ubuntu
[has stated][1] they believe there's no license issue, but as they admit,
there are differing opinions. Among the dissenters is none other than
[Linus Torvalds][2].

It should also be pointed out that as of 20.04, ZFS on desktop support
in Ubuntu is [experimental][3]. I don't know about you, but I don't
generally trust production data to file systems that have experimental
support.

There's a [ticket][4] in Calamares tracking this if you're curious.

[1]: https://ubuntu.com/blog/zfs-licensing-and-linux
[2]:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/linus-torvalds-avoid-oracles-zfs-kernel-code-on-linux-until-litigious-larry-signs-off/
[3]: https://ubuntu.com/blog/zfs-focus-on-ubuntu-20-04-lts-whats-new