[lubuntu-users] Lubuntu 20.04 (Aere Greenway)

Aere Greenway aere at dvorak-keyboards.com
Fri May 1 16:00:24 UTC 2020

(See below, bottom-posted, as they request us to do)

On 5/1/20 8:53 AM, Fritz Hudnut wrote:
> Aere G:
>
> <Posting above the fray, for speed>
>
> So it looks like overall the Lu 20+ install is "OK" . . . except for
> the issue with Chromium ID in the drop down menu??
>
> Having just done a couple of upgrade moves to get to 20.10 in both of
> my ubuntu distros, I do recall seeing a wiki that seemed to suggest
> going from LTS to the next LTS, in this case 18.04 . . . and then to
> 20.04 . . . you may have gone through that process, but it wasn't
> spelled out . . . **possibly** if you jumped from 16 straight outta
> compton to 20????  that may have got some stuff "mishandled"????
>
> Usually if there is some issue, even "bug report" level stuff, after a
> few updates they often "just disappear . . . gone . . . just like
> that, gone . . . ."
>
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 7:17 PM Aere Greenway
> <aere at dvorak-keyboards.com <mailto:aere at dvorak-keyboards.com>> wrote:
>
>     (I posted on the bottom, below)
>
>     On 4/30/20 4:50 PM, Fritz Hudnut wrote:
>>     AG:
>>
>>     OK, well, that might be "exclusive," as in my lxde desktop
>>     session I have a visual listing of it . . . .  Did you run
>>     another "apt update/dist-upgrade" subsequently to your install?
>>
>>     On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 2:48 PM Aere Greenway
>>     <aere at dvorak-keyboards.com <mailto:aere at dvorak-keyboards.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         On 4/30/20 12:15 PM, Fritz Hudnut wrote:
>>>         Aere:
>>>
>>>         I was running Lu 20.04 up until it was released and now I'm
>>>         in 20.10 . . . I have Chromium browser installed and it is
>>>         plainly in view in the "internet" menu . . .also in the drop
>>>         down is "chrome apps" . . . .  It's been so long since I did
>>>         the install,possibly through synaptics . . . it should be
>>>         there, I might think that whether in LXQT or LXDE if it's
>>>         installed, it's "installed."
>>>
>>>         All I can think of is perhaps you did something "wrong."????
>>>           : - )))))))))

>>         It does appear in the menu when using the Lubuntu, or lxqt
>>         desktop.  It just doesn't appear in the menu when using the
>>         lxde desktop.
>>
>>         --
>>         Sincerely,
>>         Aere
>>

>     I originally installed Lubuntu as a test system, and I kept
>     updating it to the latest version.  I'm not sure which level I
>     started with.
>
>     When I upgraded to Lubuntu 20.04 (in a terminal session, using
>     "sudo do-release-upgrade -d"), things seemed to be working well,
>     and I was able to install my Eclipse Java development environment,
>     and things were working well.
>
>     My Ubuntu 20.04 upgrade (which I was thinking of switching to),
>     didn't end up with a working Eclipse development environment.
>
>     Using the LXDE desktop on Lubuntu 20.04, I was able to even use my
>     strange color scheme, which I like a lot, and things were working
>     in Eclipse.
>
>     So I restored my production files from 16.04 to the 20.04 system,
> [...]
Probably, the system I used, was a fresh-install of Lubuntu 18.10, to
which I added my MIDI music & KeyMusician Keyboard test applications,
and did my testing.

That system was upgraded (and tested) through 19.04, 19.10 (which I set
up to use the LXDE desktop), and finally to 20.04, recently.  The
release notes say you can't upgrade from 18.04 to any of the later levels.

I took that test system, installed a lot of applications (including the
Eclipse Java development environment, which is a snap-package), with the
idea of evaluating it as a production system.

I then restored all my home directory files, using the Backups
application (deja-dup) from a backup taken on my Lubuntu 16.04 system.

I installed a number of other applications I realized I needed
(including Chromium), and started using the new system.  I tried out
both the LXDE desktop, and the LXQT desktop.

Surprisingly, there were few problems.  Chromium not appearing in the
menu being one of them.

I have gone nearly a week with the new system now, and am able to do all
the things I normally do.

--
Sincerely,
Aere