[lubuntu-users] Lubuntu 20.04 (Aere Greenway)

Aere Greenway aere at dvorak-keyboards.com
Fri May 1 02:17:42 UTC 2020

(I posted on the bottom, below)

On 4/30/20 4:50 PM, Fritz Hudnut wrote:
> AG:
>
> OK, well, that might be "exclusive," as in my lxde desktop session I
> have a visual listing of it . . . .  Did you run another "apt
> update/dist-upgrade" subsequently to your install?
>
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 2:48 PM Aere Greenway
> <aere at dvorak-keyboards.com <mailto:aere at dvorak-keyboards.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 4/30/20 12:15 PM, Fritz Hudnut wrote:
>>     Aere:
>>
>>     I was running Lu 20.04 up until it was released and now I'm in
>>     20.10 . . . I have Chromium browser installed and it is plainly
>>     in view in the "internet" menu . . .also in the drop down is
>>     "chrome apps" . . . .  It's been so long since I did the
>>     install,possibly through synaptics . . . it should be there, I
>>     might think that whether in LXQT or LXDE if it's installed, it's
>>     "installed."
>>
>>     All I can think of is perhaps you did something "wrong."????   :
>>     - )))))))))

>     It does appear in the menu when using the Lubuntu, or lxqt
>     desktop.  It just doesn't appear in the menu when using the lxde
>     desktop.
>
>     --
>     Sincerely,
>     Aere

I originally installed Lubuntu as a test system, and I kept updating it
to the latest version.  I'm not sure which level I started with.

When I upgraded to Lubuntu 20.04 (in a terminal session, using "sudo
do-release-upgrade -d"), things seemed to be working well, and I was
able to install my Eclipse Java development environment, and things were
working well.

My Ubuntu 20.04 upgrade (which I was thinking of switching to), didn't
end up with a working Eclipse development environment.

Using the LXDE desktop on Lubuntu 20.04, I was able to even use my
strange color scheme, which I like a lot, and things were working in
Eclipse.

So I restored my production files from 16.04 to the 20.04 system, and
started working with that.

That process proceeded without many problems, so I 'transferred my flag'
to the new system.

I'm just now cleaning up the last few 'rough edges'.

The thing I like most about the new system, is that Rosegarden now loads
channel recording filters (which it didn't on 16.04, and LibreOffice
Writer, once again allows you to produce HTML files where graphics
images are linked-to in the HTML file, rather than forcing you to embed
them as data within the HTML file.

I've been using an old copy of openSUSE Linux for editing HTML
web-pages, because of the need to keep the graphics images separate.
But now, I can use my production system to do it once again.

--
Sincerely,
Aere