[lubuntu-users] Apart from this I'm using syslinux instead of grub2.

Fritz Hudnut este.el.paz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 22:23:19 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 3:03 PM Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
wrote:

> Hi Fritz,
>
> it comes with a learning curve ;).
>
> On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 14:20:18 -0700, Fritz Hudnut wrote:
> >Any pointers on why you choose syslinux over grub2??
>
> For me the pros of syslinux are
>
> - I do not need to disable insane automation, as I had to do (depending
>   on the distro providing it) for grub2
> - I do not need to tidy up a default config, to get rid of clutter
>
> For me the con of syslinux is
>
> - I'm either forced to use chainloading or as I do, to use one
>   partition for the kernels of all installs and (not necessarily) to
>   bind mount [1]
>
> In my case 2 pros vs one con.
>
> Actually there are a lot of more pros and cons for both, syslinux as
> well as grub2, depending on the users needs. For me just the mentioned
> matter.
>
> On 'apt' based distros, such as the Ubuntu flavour Lubuntu, you can
> 'dpkg-divert' [2] 'grub-mkconfig' and 'update-grub' to get rid of the
> insane automation and usage of configs, to generate cluttered configs.
> Instead manually edit a clean grub.cfg and don't worry about any
> automation that could mess up anything.
>
> FWIW I'm using syslinux of my Arch Linux install, not from my Ubuntu
> Xenial install.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf
>
> [1]
> [weremouse at moonstudio src]$ grep bind /etc/fstab
> /mnt/archlinux/.boot/ubuntu_moonstudio/boot /boot          none   bind
>           0 0
>
> [2]
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man1/dpkg-divert.1.html
>

> @Ralf:
Thanks for the fast reply . . . indeed, there usually is "a learning curve"
. . . I was thinking after I posted that it might be "a nightmare" to try
to get my Mac Pro with 4 drives with multiple installs spread across each
of them, all switched over from Grub2 . . . without creating a "mess"
beyond the mess that I have now.

It seems like grub2 must "memorize" all of the systems that have ever been
installed or booted by Grub2 . . . because in SG2 disk the list of all of
the various "cfg's" . . . what "vmlinuz" and all of the other overlaps that
might boot something up . . . are all listed there and it's a "very long
list."

Maybe 6 months back I had a Sid linux distro installed and it turned out to
be "unfriendly" to the other distros and removed data across partitions and
possibly drives AND it messed up grub2 . . . and I had a thread on the
opensuse forum that was huugggeee with guys trying to help me figure out
how to get grub2 all tidy again . . . and in spite of what was pretty high
level help . . . nothing seemed to get grub2 "freshened" to just show the
current installs . . . it remina as you say, "cluttered."

It might be easier to fiddle with my olde laptop that only has two OSX
installs and one Manjaro . . . Manjaro is stacked on Arch, right??  That
install is my first or second Arch based install . . . might be "easier" to
get over to syslinux in that computer and if it blows up . . . not too
difficult to do a fresh install???

Or, is this something that is easier to do with a fresh install and then
instead of flagging the EFI boot partition with "grub2" . . . there's a
drop down choice for "syslinux"??

I was trying to figure out if Xenial is 16.04???  Ancient history man,
didn't they just "drop support" for it a couple weeks back???  Check out
Groovy . . . the water is "fine" in the 20.10 game.  : - ))))