[lubuntu-users] install Lubuntu 20.04 on USB from USB that contains live version

Nio Wiklund wiklund.olle at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 14:00:53 UTC 2020

Den 2020-07-29 kl. 15:14, skrev Nio Wiklund:
> Den 2020-07-29 kl. 14:29, skrev Wilbert Heeringa:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I installed the Lubuntu live version on a USB stick using Startup Disk
>> Creator. Next I would like to install 'normal' Lubuntu on another USB
>> device (or SDD), using the live version. I did the following:
>>
>> 1) I disconnected all the hard drives and the DVD drive in my
>> (desktop) computer.
>>
>> 2) I booted the computer with the USB stick that contains the live
>> version of Lubuntu 20.04.
>>
>> 3. I inserted the USB stick which I would like to install Lubuntu on.
>> Then I double clicked on the Install icon on the desktop and started
>> the installation procedure.
>>
>> 4. When arriving at 'Partitions' at 'Select storage device' I selected
>> the USB stick which I would like to install Lubuntu on: Voyager GS -
>> 117.6 GB (/dev/sdb) .
>>
>> 5. At 'New Partition Table' I checked 'Master Boot Record (MBR).
>>
>> 6. At 'New Value Group' I did nothing.
>>
>> 7. I double clicked on 'Free Space'. A windows open: 'Edit Existing
>> Partition'.
>>
>> 8. As 'Partition Type' I choose 'Primary'. As 'File System' I choose
>> 'ext4'. I checked 'Encrypt'. As 'Mount Point' I choose '/'. At 'Flag'
>> I checked 'boot' and 'legacy-boot' (my computer is at least 10 years
>> old, a HP dc7900). Then I pressed OK.
>>
>> 9. At the bottom of  the screen I choose 'Install Boot Record of
>> Voyager GS (/dev/sdb).
>>
>> 10. I went through the rest of the installation procedure until the
>> computer was going to be rebooted. I removed the 'installation medium'
>> when it was asked for.
>>
>> 11. Then the computer tried to reboot, but alas! There was not any
>> medium found from which the computer was able to boot.
>>
>> My first question is: is it even possible to install ('non live')
>> Lubuntu 20.04 on a USB stick? Or am I trying to do something impossible?
>>
>> If it is possible, my second question would be: how exactly can you do
>> this?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Wilbert
>>

> Hi Wilbert!
>
> Yes, it is possible. I have done it many times. If it is enough to get a
> system that (only) boot in the same boot mode as it is installed (UEFI
> mode or BIOS mode (alias CSM alias legacy mode)), your approach seems
> right. I don't see what could be the problem in your case, but you can
> do it according to the following link (and it should work).
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/16988/how-do-i-install-ubuntu-to-a-usb-key-without-using-startup-disk-creator/942312#942312
>

> If you want a system that can boot both in UEFI mode and BIOS mode you
> can do it according to the following link.
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/1217832/how-to-create-a-full-install-of-ubuntu-20-04-to-usb-device-step-by-step
>

> -o-
>
> But there is also another problem: You must make your computer boot from
> [...]

Hi again,

If you wait for one or two days, there will be a new iso file with
Lubuntu 20.04.1 LTS, the first point release. This iso file is debugged
and polished, and I think it will be much easier to succeed installing
from Lubuntu 20.04.1 LTS iso file.

Otherwise you can install Xubuntu 20.04 LTS, which uses the classic
Ubiquity installer and then install the meta package 'lubuntu-desktop'
into the installed Xubuntu system. The result will be a slightly bloated
system, but I think it will work for you to get Lubuntu that way.

Or you can install from the Ubuntu mini.iso file,

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/focal/main/installer-amd64/current/legacy-images/netboot/mini.iso

and then install the meta package 'lubuntu-desktop' into the installed
mini system without graphical desktop environment.

Best regards
Nio