[lubuntu-users] install Lubuntu 20.04 on USB from USB that contains live version

Nio Wiklund wiklund.olle at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 13:14:53 UTC 2020

Den 2020-07-29 kl. 14:29, skrev Wilbert Heeringa:
> Dear all,
>
> I installed the Lubuntu live version on a USB stick using Startup Disk
> Creator. Next I would like to install 'normal' Lubuntu on another USB
> device (or SDD), using the live version. I did the following:
>
> 1) I disconnected all the hard drives and the DVD drive in my (desktop)
> computer.
>
> 2) I booted the computer with the USB stick that contains the live
> version of Lubuntu 20.04.
>
> 3. I inserted the USB stick which I would like to install Lubuntu on.
> Then I double clicked on the Install icon on the desktop and started the
> installation procedure.
>
> 4. When arriving at 'Partitions' at 'Select storage device' I selected
> the USB stick which I would like to install Lubuntu on: Voyager GS -
> 117.6 GB (/dev/sdb) .
>
> 5. At 'New Partition Table' I checked 'Master Boot Record (MBR).
>
> 6. At 'New Value Group' I did nothing.
>
> 7. I double clicked on 'Free Space'. A windows open: 'Edit Existing
> Partition'.
>
> 8. As 'Partition Type' I choose 'Primary'. As 'File System' I choose
> 'ext4'. I checked 'Encrypt'. As 'Mount Point' I choose '/'. At 'Flag' I
> checked 'boot' and 'legacy-boot' (my computer is at least 10 years old,
> a HP dc7900). Then I pressed OK.
>
> 9. At the bottom of  the screen I choose 'Install Boot Record of Voyager
> GS (/dev/sdb).
>
> 10. I went through the rest of the installation procedure until the
> computer was going to be rebooted. I removed the 'installation medium'
> when it was asked for.
>
> 11. Then the computer tried to reboot, but alas! There was not any
> medium found from which the computer was able to boot.
>
> My first question is: is it even possible to install ('non live')
> Lubuntu 20.04 on a USB stick? Or am I trying to do something impossible?
>
> If it is possible, my second question would be: how exactly can you do this?
>
> Best,
>
> Wilbert

Hi Wilbert!

Yes, it is possible. I have done it many times. If it is enough to get a
system that (only) boot in the same boot mode as it is installed (UEFI
mode or BIOS mode (alias CSM alias legacy mode)), your approach seems
right. I don't see what could be the problem in your case, but you can
do it according to the following link (and it should work).

https://askubuntu.com/questions/16988/how-do-i-install-ubuntu-to-a-usb-key-without-using-startup-disk-creator/942312#942312

If you want a system that can boot both in UEFI mode and BIOS mode you
can do it according to the following link.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1217832/how-to-create-a-full-install-of-ubuntu-20-04-to-usb-device-step-by-step

-o-

But there is also another problem: You must make your computer boot from
that external drive, and that is different between computers: Via a
hotkey (right after boot) you can get a temporary boot menu, and in one
of UEFI/BIOS menus you can modify the boot order. The following link may
be helpful,

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick/bootUSB

Best regards
Nio