[lubuntu-users] install Lubuntu 20.04 on USB from USB that contains live version

Wilbert Heeringa wjheeringa at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 12:29:43 UTC 2020

Dear all,

I installed the Lubuntu live version on a USB stick using Startup Disk
Creator. Next I would like to install 'normal' Lubuntu on another USB
device (or SDD), using the live version. I did the following:

1) I disconnected all the hard drives and the DVD drive in my (desktop)
computer.

2) I booted the computer with the USB stick that contains the live version
of Lubuntu 20.04.

3. I inserted the USB stick which I would like to install Lubuntu on. Then
I double clicked on the Install icon on the desktop and started the
installation procedure.

4. When arriving at 'Partitions' at 'Select storage device' I selected the
USB stick which I would like to install Lubuntu on: Voyager GS - 117.6 GB
(/dev/sdb) .

5. At 'New Partition Table' I checked 'Master Boot Record (MBR).

6. At 'New Value Group' I did nothing.

7. I double clicked on 'Free Space'. A windows open: 'Edit Existing
Partition'.

8. As 'Partition Type' I choose 'Primary'. As 'File System' I choose
'ext4'. I checked 'Encrypt'. As 'Mount Point' I choose '/'. At 'Flag' I
checked 'boot' and 'legacy-boot' (my computer is at least 10 years old, a
HP dc7900). Then I pressed OK.

9. At the bottom of  the screen I choose 'Install Boot Record of Voyager GS
(/dev/sdb).

10. I went through the rest of the installation procedure until the
computer was going to be rebooted. I removed the 'installation medium' when
it was asked for.

11. Then the computer tried to reboot, but alas! There was not any medium
found from which the computer was able to boot.

My first question is: is it even possible to install ('non live') Lubuntu
20.04 on a USB stick? Or am I trying to do something impossible?

If it is possible, my second question would be: how exactly can you do this?

Best,

Wilbert