[lubuntu-users] Mount encrypted home folder on another device

Wilbert Heeringa wjheeringa at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 14:00:55 UTC 2020

Dear all,

I am using Lubuntu 20.04 on my desktop computer and have a bootable SDD on
which Lubuntu 18.04 is installed. The home folder on the SDD is encrypted.

When I have booted from my desktop computer and connected the SDD, how can
I access the home folder on the SDD?

I tried the steps described by 'qbi' at:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/238047/how-do-i-mount-an-encrypted-home-directory-on-another-ubuntu-machine

but ended up with:

*Successfully appended new sig to user sig cache fileError mounting
eCryptfs: [-2] No such file or directoryCheck your system logs; visit
<http://ecryptfs.org/support.html <http://ecryptfs.org/support.html>>*

Then, from the same page I tried the suggestion of Seppo Erviälä, but ended
up with:

*INFO: Searching for encrypted private directories (this might take a
while)...find: ‘/run/user/1000/gvfs’: Permission denied*

Does anyone know how to mount the home folder?

Is there a file browser by which you get access to the home folder without
the need to enter commands in a terminal?

Best,
Wilbert