[lubuntu-users] Lubuntu 18.04: freezes at Login-Screen

michael smusnmr at yahoo.com
Thu May 16 16:57:27 UTC 2019

 Problem solved after a new install of Lubuntu 18.04. The command  "synclient TapButton1=1" produced no error message as earlier.

Thank you,
lubucub

    Am Mittwoch, 15. Mai 2019, 22:14:10 MESZ hat michael <smusnmr at yahoo.com> Folgendes geschrieben:

 Hi,
I probably did a very stupid thing without knowing what I was doing, inspired by a friendly chatter on Lubuntu.me. Now my Lubuntu 18.04 freeezes at the login-Screen and I cannot do anything :-(

Details********

I tried to execute "synclient TapButton1=1" (or 0) in LX-Terminal of Lubuntu 18.04 (to be able to toggle Touchpad Tap to Click off/on, that was the chat suggestion) and got the answer:
"Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?"
So, "sudo apt-cache -n search synaptics driversynaptics driver" and had as result among others:
xserver-xorg-input-synapticsxserver-xorg-input-synaptics - Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org serverand
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-hwe-18.04 - Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org server
So, (and this was NOT in the chat) "sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics". No tpuchpad toggling after that. So"sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-hwe-18.04", and rebooted (I think I forgot to reboot after the first install of xserver-xorg-input-synapticsxserver-xorg-input-synaptics).

Everthing went fine up to login; normally I am able to put my password under my user-icon, but not since then. Everything freezes, not able to put a singel letter into the pasword filed. "Ctl+Alt F1 though F8" won'r work, nothing. I have to switch the notebook off and choose one of my other multi-boot systems from the boot menu.
Will I have to reinstall Lubuntu 18.04 anew or is there an other more soft possibility to repair the system.
Thank you for any help,
lubucub