[lubuntu-users] Audio stuttering/crackling in Lubuntu 18.04 (Felipe M. Vieira)

Felipe M. Vieira fmv1992 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 22:17:04 UTC 2019

On Wed, July 17, 2019 at  7:45, Fritz Hudnut wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> > I'm a long time Lubuntu user and I have been facing audio issues from
> > a `dist-upgrade` from 16.04 to 18.04. I have detailed the question there:
> >
> > From:
> > https://askubuntu.com/questions/1158648/audio-stuttering-crackling-in-ubuntu-18-04
> >
> > For convenience:
> >
> > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> >
> > The audio is stuttering/crackling whenever played in external
> > speakers/headphone or the laptop's speaker.
> >

> > @Felipe:
>
> Unfortunately I can't help you, because I know nothing about "sound" in
> linux.  But, you have made a detailed post, however, the machine you are
> trying to get sound in . . . doesn't seem to be mentioned here??  I didn't
> click on any links . . . .
>
> We do have a few people who do know about "sound" here and perhaps they
> will reply to your question??
>
> The only suggestion I would try is that since Lu is under heavy
> development, it might behoove you to move forward to 19.04??  I'm running
> 19.10 development and overall it is "good" . . . but I did have some
> "dependency" issues with an nvidia driver that broke the GUI recently, so I
> wouldn't say to jump up to that, but 19.04 is very good and **might**
> address or fix your issues??

Hey Aere and F,

Thanks for your considerations. You both mentioned relevant details but somehow
the issue was solved. It is very unfortunate that I have spent so many hours
trying to fix it and so many solutions. I cannot track down what did
specifically... My goal with the mail and question at askubuntu was also to
provide a guidance to similar errors.

I'll update the post on askubuntu nevertheless.

If I had to guess what cracked it was uninstalling/purging pulseaudio (leaving
the alsa modules) and then rebooting. This certainly solved the issue. Then to
my astonishment reinstalling pulseaudio left me with a full-working audio
again.

Again, my heartfelt thanks for both of you. The (l)ubuntu community is
inspiring.

Best,

--
Felipe Martins Vieira
I have transitioned to a new pgp key. Check my statement at: