[lubuntu-users] goodbye forever, i386 (Aere Greenway)

Sun Jul 14 00:23:21 UTC 2019

On 7/13/19 5:05 PM, Fritz Hudnut wrote:

>     Thanks for the suggestion.  All of my 32-bit machines are now running
>     Debian.  I've tested both Debian 9 (stretch), and Debian 10 (buster).
>
>     I use the LXDE desktop, and it is very familiar, and all tests are
>     successful.  System updates are different, but easily learned.
>
>     --
>     Sincerely,
>     Aere
>

> @Aere:
>
> Thought I'd try to go back to when folks would try to respond to posts
> here, rather than just "watch" the posts go on by . . . so, cool that
> Debian is still providing an image for 32 bit . . . obviously it isn't
> radically different than Ubuntu, other than having to do more stuff
> "manually" to get them installed . . . .  Carry on with it . . . I
> just checked for any remaining vestiges of "PPC" there, and, sadly . .
> . none are current . . . I would assume that 32-bit will stagger
> forward there for another couple of years before the ports start being
> "finicky" as they are now in remaining Lu 16.04 PPC systems . . .
> "can't find the package at http://ports/backports" . . . something
> like that . . . .
>
> I've got a #Siduction/Plasma install which is based on Deb 10 . . .
> "sid" . . . does have a bit of a learning curve to it to avoid blowing
> everything up, but otherwise . . . more or less the generic linux
> system with the usual band of debian type "purists" gathered around it
> . . . .

Where my Lubuntu 18.04 i386 systems all started to no longer boot
reliably, it motivated me to switch them to Debian.

The things that cause me problems with Debian, so far, is that there is
a long delay during the reboot after installing Debian 9, where it seems
to be doing nothing at all, and you really have to just wait for it to
complete.  Debian 10 doesn't have that problem, and uses the same
installer as Lubuntu 18.10 (Calamares).

The other problem, is that wireless support on Debian is much poorer
than with Ubuntu.  It surprised me that I have only one wireless dongle
that works with Debian out-of-the-box.  After some effort installing
things, I was able to get the Broadcom (b43) wireless of my HP Mini
working.  The wireless of my 32-bit MacBook also worked out-of-the-box.

 From what I read, all of the Debian releases are supported for 5 years,
so Debian 10 should be good until July of 2024.

I now know enough to help my kids migrate their systems to Debian 10.

Where so many of my machines are now on Debian, perhaps I should join
that band of Debian purists.

--

Sincerely,
Aere