[lubuntu-users] About booting Focal-Fossa to text mode

Nio Wiklund wiklund.olle at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 16:03:30 UTC 2019

Den 2019-12-14 kl. 16:09, skrev Harry Putnam:
> Running updated forcal-fossa
>
> I want to boot to console/text mode and later call startx if I want X.
>
> Found the directions for doing that except its for 14.?? from the
> handbook and made the modifications suggested there, in
> /etc/default/grub.  Then ran `update-grub'
>
>    /etc/default/grub
>    # If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
>    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
>    # For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
>    #   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'
>
>    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
>    GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
>    GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
>    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR='Ubuntu'
>
>    ,----
>    | ## commented
>    | # GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash resume=UUID=58ccce28-21fa-465a-9ec9-9a38d74549e3"
>    `----
>
>    ,----
>    | ## Commented
>    | ## GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=
>    `----
>
>    ,----
>    | ## Edited adding `text'
>    | GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="text"
>    `----
>
>    # Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
>    # This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
>    # the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
>    #GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"
>
>    # Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
>    ,----
>    | ## removed comment
>    | GRUB_TERMINAL=console
>    `----
>
>    # The resolution used on graphical terminal
>    # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
>    # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
>    #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
>
>    # Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
>    #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true
>
>    # Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
>    #GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
>
>    # Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
>    #GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"
>
> -------       -------  --END FILE--  -------       -------
>
> When I rebooted, I do get to see the boot messages but the boot ends
> up at the greeter login screen in X so when I log in I'm in X when I
> should be in console(text) Mode.
>
> I want to end up in console mode with a text login and no X.
>
> What else do I need to do for that to happen?

Hi Harry,

I think what else you need is to tweak systemd as described in the
following link,

https://askubuntu.com/questions/854013/how-to-boot-to-text-only-mode-problem-with-laptop-with-nvidia-gpu/854026#854026

If your desktop uses systemd, and I am rather sure it does (Ubuntu 15.04
or later), there is one additional step needed. That is to change the
default target from "graphical" target to "multi-user" target. Skip this
step if your desktop does not use systemd.

sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target

At this point, your desktop should boot into the command line when you
reboot it.

-o-

You can always revert to desktop boot later by restoring GRUB config
file and running:

sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target

Best regards
Nio