[lubuntu-users] 19.4 installer has 8gig minimum disk requirement

Mark F azdays15 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 16:01:15 UTC 2019

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 8:35 AM Mark F <azdays15 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 11:54 PM Walter Lapchynski <wxl at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking an improvement might be the words "more than" rather than
>> "at least."
>

> That's impressive you figure all that out (the installer's minimum-space
> weirdness). I just wanted to say that Linux-Lite 4.4 has the exact same
> wording as Xubuntu.

BTW:  I don't think it should matter if disk size (bytes) are counted
precisely the same way (a gig = 1,073,741,824 or 1 million bytes). However,
I understand how that *would* matter if someone were trying to have
precisely the minimum space available. Then you have to be talking the same
language.

The reason I don't think it should matter: Xubuntu (for example) only uses
4.8gb after install (measured using "df -h" command). I would have
preferred that it say "Xubuntu recommends 8.6gb... would you like to
install anyway?" I had to recreate the QEMU session larger just so
Xubuntu's installer was happy. But, in the end, 7gb, 8gb.... it doesn't
seem like it should have mattered. If the installer were more flexble
(could distinguish between bare minimum versus recommended minimum), then
73mb per gig of space would be a trifling detail(?).

I know the installer and Xubuntu aren't your (Walter's) department. I'm
just wondering if that would be another way to look at it? Lubuntu uses
4.5gb. But, required 8gb to pass the installer's requirement.

Mark