[lubuntu-users] Shift-Insert works different in LXQt

Mark F azdays15 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 12:09:10 UTC 2019

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 10:28 PM Walter Lapchynski <wxl at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I would argue that if you polled people, you'd find that few people use
> it. That was more of my point.
>
> Furthermore, when's the last time you saw it as the shortcut in the Edit
> menu of a program?

I agree. I worded my first post the way I did because of that (believing
Featherpad's behavior was intentional and could be an impediment to Windows
users trying Linux.). I was thinking someone would say "ctrl-v is how it's
supposed to be done! (See RFC 1458 stroke B subsection 14, paragraph 3!)" I
didn't believe many people used shift-insert these days. I thought of it
more as a legacy Windows thing.

I continue to gravitate toward shift-insert because I *frequently* hit
ctrl-c by accident -- wiping out what I ctrl-x'ed (and can't recreate
because ctrl-x eliminated the selection.). I have a Pavlovian aversion to
positioning my fingers for that operation.

I've been exposed to Linux since the days of ftp'ing 21(?) 1.4mb floppy
images (1992 or 93). It's funny to think how easy things are today. You can
download a single image a mllion times faster, that's a million times
larger, burn it to a USB stick a million times faster, for a fraction of
the cost. (Back then, 21 diskettes was an investment. Not like cheap usb
sticks today. It took all afternoon listening to the drive's head moving.).

Pretty soon we'll have implants (transhumanist movement). In 30 years
people will laugh about ctrl-c vs shift-insert (as they merely *think*
about what they want copied or pasted, and it happens automatically).

Considering how long I've used it (I used Red Hat *a lot* before Ubuntu
arrived, before RH was called Fedora), you'd think I'd be more proficient.
I lack some kind of aptitude for cryptic commands. So, I'm sure I'll be
looking for a lightweight implant then too. :) My head won't handle the
full-sized implant.

Mark