[lubuntu-users] 19.4 installer has 8gig minimum disk requirement

Walter Lapchynski wxl at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 26 06:54:02 UTC 2019

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 06:29:34PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> "Ordinary people" unlikely will use QEMU. IMO handling "space" used by
> emulations is more easily done by taking care about base 2 unites, than
> base 10.

Well, I think that the IEEE is full of the same non-orindary people the
IEC is, so I'm not sure how far that argument is going to go XD

For what it's worth, [Calamares uses base 2 and converts to bytes to do
the work][1]. [QEMU also uses base 2][2] but confusingly refers
to them with base 10 abbreviations in both the [comments][3] and their
own [documentation][4]. The [manpage][5] gets even sillier, making it
clear that we're talking about powers of 1024, but refering to them with
the base 10 names.

That said, we got ourselves a red herring relative to the original concern.
However, digging around in the code helped me find it, I think. The
comparison between the size of the device and the required space is a
[strict inequality][6]. It's making this comparison with your 8GB
device:

8589935000 > 8589935000

We all know that's false, right? So it's not big enough. You'll notice
the [log says it needs "at least" at a certain number of bytes][7] but
the [actual output says it in GB][8] (which of course is the wrong
abbreviation, anyways).

I'm thinking an improvement might be the words "more than" rather than
"at least."

[1]: https://github.com/calamares/calamares/blob/master/src/libcalamares/utils/Units.h
[2]:
https://github.com/qemu/qemu/blob/81781be3c99235a59c8efee6aecb3d81b500e838/util/cutils.c#L182