[lubuntu-users] 19.4 installer has 8gig minimum disk requirement

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Apr 25 14:07:32 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-04-25 at 11:43 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 at 10:55, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
> > You are missing the point. It doesn't matter if you call it "GB" or
> > "GiB".
>
> I think that _is_ the point.
>
> > A "G" in combination with devices that are capable of 16 G, 32 G, 64 G,
> > 128 G, 256 G, 512 G, 1024 G, based on the architectural principle
> > implies base 2.
>
> Computers are not just for techies any more.
>
> Ordinary people don't know that.

"Ordinary" people wonder why the values aren't 250 instead of 256, 500
instead of 512, 1000 instead of 1024. They might or might not understand
the technically reasons. However, they don't gain anything from base 10
over base 2.

For those who you call "techies" it makes a big difference.

> meh, it's only about 10-15%. Yes the error gets bigger as the units
> get bigger, but it also matters less. PCs, even phones, already store
> more than most people need.

It's very important if you assign memory. I know a lot of people even
don't assign memory correctly, if they are writing security relevant
software, hence all those overflows, that make it very easy for
attackers. However, I even care about less than 1 %, if I just assign
disk space to partitions.