[lubuntu-users] 19.4 installer has 8gig minimum disk requirement

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 09:43:34 UTC 2019

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 at 10:55, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> You are missing the point. It doesn't matter if you call it "GB" or
> "GiB".

I think that _is_ the point.

> A "G" in combination with devices that are capable of 16 G, 32 G, 64 G,
> 128 G, 256 G, 512 G, 1024 G, based on the architectural principle
> implies base 2.

Computers are not just for techies any more.

Ordinary people don't know that. They don't know about powers of 10
and powers of 2. They don't even know what a "power" is. They
certainly had not memorised a list of the first dozen or so powers of
2 by the time they grew their first pubic hairs, like any
self-respecting techie has done.

The problem is that some marketing-droid realised that using the
"traditional" SI meaning of MB or GB would make their products look a
little bigger in advertising. Once that happened, everyone did it, so
as not to be left behind.

SI is important and good.

So, let them have kB and MB and GB and TB. Let us clarify that we
don't mean that, we mean kiB and MiB and GiB.

If you don't know the difference -- meh, it's only about 10-15%. Yes
the error gets bigger as the units get bigger, but it also matters
less. PCs, even phones, already store more than most people need. My
iMac has 2 TiB and it's quite full. My girlfriend's rarely-used PC has
1 TiB and it's got about 5% used, if that. She doesn't need it and she
never will.

So here in technical world, let's use the correct prefixes, because we
know and we care.

Leave the marketers, those paid liars, to fudge the figures and cook the books.