[lubuntu-users] 19.4 installer has 8gig minimum disk requirement

Walter Lapchynski wxl at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 25 00:21:51 UTC 2019

On 2019-04-25 00:03, Mark F wrote:
> I still think it
> would be beneficial to have some kind of mem display widget installed
> on the screen so the terminal's footprint itself isn't a contributing
> factor

But then the widget would be XD

> I created a 6g QEMU image. When I tried to install Lubuntu, it
> told me minimum 8g. So, I deleted that and created a new one 8g.
> But, Lubuntu still said 8g is required (and wouldn't proceed).

It's important to remember that there are actually two definitions for
gigabyte, or rather [two confused definitions][1]. It's possible that
Calamares and QEMU are using different definitions. My guess is that
QEMU is using the gibibyte (base 2) whereas Calamares is using the
gigabyte (base 10). That would mean Calamares is looking for 8 and QEMU
is only making 7.45 (base 10). Base 10 *IS* the standard, according to
the IEEE, so I would consider it a bug against whomever is using base 2.

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte#Definition
--
       @wxl | polka.bike
C563 CAC5 8BE1 2F22 A49D