[lubuntu-users] Lubuntu 18.10, no touchpad settings

Walter Lapchynski wxl at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 31 18:28:12 UTC 2018

On 2018-10-28 17:05, Israel wrote:
> On 10/28/18 10:11 AM, Aere Greenway wrote:

> I did some searching, and it is extremely hard to find out
> where/what the synaptics API actually is

This is really unnecessary if you use synaptics command line tools like
syndaemon and synclient. I've historically included the appropriate
commands to get the settings I want in autostart and everything works
the way I want every time.

However, it should be noted that synaptics is effectively deprecated in
lieu of libinput. In fact, you'll see GNOME went so far as to
[discontinue support for synaptics][1]. Upstream [Debian is even
generally superceding synaptics][2] (which means it affects Ubuntu).
synaptics still exists but you can see [development is halted][3] while
[libinput rages on][4]. You can use them both, but really, you should
just switch to libinput. The libinput and xinput commands should do the
trick, as covered by [Arch][5].

>> Though some people like command-line-interfaces, I hope this
>> work-around isn't the permanent solution to the problem.

For what it's worth, there was never an exposed interface for touchpad
settings in any previous version of Lubuntu.

> I am sure all LXQt denizens would welcome a fully functioning true
> synaptics config tool

We've included it as a [goal for 19.04][6] but I'm sure as you'll see
from the linked upstream bug, it's not the easiest of issues, so it may
not be possible for 19.04, but we're hoping.

> The caveat is that this is Xorg specific... no idea how Wayland
> will/does handle this...

libinput has been built to support Wayland from the get go. So it just
works. Not so with synaptics.

[1]:
https://community.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-to-remove-xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-on-upgrade/3938/6
[2]: https://wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad#libinput