[lubuntu-users] Lubuntu-users Digest, Vol 82, Issue 15

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 22:39:35 UTC 2018

On 10/22/18 4:25 PM, Fritz Hudnut wrote:

>     >> Nope, it was always Sylpheed.
>     > The potential problem, is that if it won't run on Lubuntu
>
>     Not a problem at all. Any package in the repositories should work just
>     fine. The only problem with Thunderbird (and any other GTK app) is
>     that
>     it's likely to bring a bunch of libraries along with it.
>
>     > Do snap package installations work on Lubuntu?
>
>     The important thing to remember here is the sentiment behind the
>     statement above: Lubuntu *IS* Ubuntu. Ubuntu, ultimately, is the
>     software in the repositories. The thing that makes the canonical (here
>     the lowercase is intentional) Ubuntu OS what it is is a particular
>     selection of packages. This is also true with Lubuntu and every other
>     flavor of Ubuntu. But they all have the repositories in common.
>

> @AG:
>
> Just to add the comment . . . I had a fresh install of Lu Next
> **highly experimental OS** 18.04 installed, and then went against the
> suggested method of doing a fresh upgrade for Lu 18.10, and
> **experimentally** upgraded the unsupported 18.04 via console
> update/upgrade to what is now an **unrecommended** Lu 18.10 system . .
> . and somewhere in there Thunderbird Mail has appeared and is
> functioning perfectly well . . . .  As Walter mentions that may have
> added "bloat" into the libraries of my install . . . nothing wrong
> with Sylpheed, but, I just like TB . . . .

FWIW

I have LXQt in 18.04 with a bunch of GTK apps, as well as a few other
DE/WM setups, and GTK apps (such as thunderbird) work just fine.  Qt
apps are, of course preferred.  I also have a KDE Neon machine which
uses Thunderbird and it works perfectly there.  And on the other side
VLC is a Qt app and is used in a lot of GTK DE and works well.  So you
can easily install and run ANY familiar app in the repos, though you
will also install the libraries to run the graphical toolkit.

I make/use a lot of FLTK based apps in the same environment with Qt and
GTK apps and all work well together.