[lubuntu-users] [lubuntu-devel] Lubuntu 18.10 (Cosmic Cuttlefish) Released!

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 11:27:20 UTC 2018

Den 2018-10-21 kl. 02:04, skrev Aere Greenway:
> On 10/20/18 2:13 PM, Aere Greenway wrote:
>> On 10/19/18 11:01 PM, Simon Quigley wrote:
>>> You can find the full release announcement here:
>>> https://lubuntu.me/cosmic-released
>>>
>>> Please also take a look at the release video made by Michael from
>>> TuxDigital:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRgcsTQGvwU
>>>
>>> I just want to say thanks to everyone who has participated in these
>>> mailing lists over this past cycle, whether it's helping other people,
>>> reporting problems for us to solve, or discussing issues in general, you
>>> all are very much appreciated. :)
>>>
>>> If anyone is lurking and wanting to get more involved with the project,
>>> now's your time to reach out. At the start of the 19.04 cycle we're
>>> going to have a lot to do, and not just in terms of technical tasks, but
>>> the Lubuntu Manual needs some more work as well as other non-technical
>>> tasks. Feel free to send me an email with what you would like to help
>>> with, and we can find a place for you. That's what at least seven people
>>> (listed on the release announcement) did throughout the cycle, and we
>>> found a place for them where every single one of them has made an
>>> incredible impact on the project. It could be you, seriously!
>>>
>>> Until the 19.04 codename is announced, I would encourage Lubuntu
>>> contributors to take a short break if there's nothing to help with with
>>> respect to 18.10. I'll personally be taking a short break from directly
>>> contributing until the codename is announced, with the exception of
>>> packages that need to be uploaded.
>>>
>>> Thanks again, and have a good night.
>>>

>> All:
>>
>> I began testing Lubuntu 18.10, and ran into some things that are
>> different, which I wanted to ask about before I start making assumptions.
>>
>> 1. I usually test 32-bit systems first.  I noticed that a 32-bit DVD
>> or USB would go a very long time without booting on a machine with
>> 64-bit hardware.  I gave up trying to boot it after about 10 minutes.
>> There was no indication of a problem - it just took too long to boot
>> (I finally gave up), from either USB or DVD.  However, that same
>> live-DVD system booted fine on a machine with 32-bit hardware.  In the
>> past, I could install a 32-bit OS on 64-bit hardware, but it appears
>> it will not even boot on 18.10 (and there is no error indication).  Is
>> this behavior expected?
>>
>> 2. I don't use QWERTY keyboard layout, so I change the keyboard layout
>> to English-Dvorak.  On Lubuntu 18.10, I was unable to figure out how
>> to do that.  If I keep trying, I may discover a way.  How do you
>> change the keyboard layout on Lubuntu 18.10?
>>
>> 3. On past levels of Lubuntu, Thunderbird Mail was the e-mail client.
>> I have had bad experiences in the past migrating to new e-mail
>> clients, which appears to be necessary with Lubuntu 18.10.  I realize
>> using Thunderbird Mail on Lubuntu 18.10 would cause a large number of
>> libraries to be installed.  But if I am willing to put up with that,
> [...]

Hi Aere,

I am able to boot Lubuntu 18.10 in my Toshiba laptop with 64-bit
architecture both in UEFI and BIOS mode.

http://www.toshiba.se/laptops/satellite-pro/c850/satellite-pro-c850-19w/

I used mkusb to create a persistent live drive (using default settings).
Maybe your problem depends on the tool you use to create the live drive,
or maybe it depends on the particular 64-bit computer, maybe there is
another problem.

Best regards
Nio