[lubuntu-users] [lubuntu-devel] Lubuntu 18.10 != Broadcom wifi

Walter Lapchynski wxl at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 9 05:45:37 UTC 2018

On Mon, Nov 05, 2018 at 09:45:01PM -0500, Kevin Carter wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 5:03 PM Walter Lapchynski <wxl at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > On 2018-10-30 08:19, Kevin Carter wrote:

> > > enabling the Broadcom network device is problematic.
> > Proprietary drivers are always a problem. However, in order for anyone
> > to help you, we'd need to know some more information about your system.
> > Could you provide the output of `lspci -vvnn | grep -A 9 Network`

> 01:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4312
> 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
>         Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge

Our [documentation][1] doesn't say as such, but the b43 driver does
support the BCM4312 chip with PCI ID 14e4:4315, as you can see from the
[upstream documentation][2]. That said, I would suggest that you install
the b43 driver, which is usually as simple as doing installing the
firmware-b43-lpphy-installer package, since you have a LP-PHY version.

The other thing you will need to check is to make sure that other
drivers aren't loaded. It doesn't seem like you have the proprietary
non-open source driver (wl) installed but to be safe, do this:

sudo modprobe -r b43 wl brcmfmac brcmsmac bcma
sudo modprobe b43

If that provides any errors, let me know. Otherwise, it's going to
either help your situation or leave it in the same basic state as when
you first asked. If it does help we need to make it permanent. Look in
/etc/modprobe.d and if there are any files ending in .conf with
blacklist in the name, edit that file and add the following lines:

blacklist wl
blacklist brcmfmac
blacklist brcmsmac
blacklist bcma

And then update the system that loads your kernel modules (read:
drivers) at the beginning of boot:

sudo update-initramfs -u

Now if the modprobe commands did not produce errors, but did not help,
that's a different situation. That may require using the proprietary
drivers, which is not something I would normally suggest. To do that,
you'd want the bcmwl-kernel-source package. Then follow all the steps
above, except you would want to swap b43 and wl in all the commands.

P.S. I've included the list so that others can chime in if they have
further advice.

[1]: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx
[2]: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

--