[lubuntu-users] PCManFM default sort order

Jerry Van Brimmer jwfj77 at zoho.com
Fri Mar 23 00:08:40 UTC 2018

---- On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 15:19:35 -0700 Aere Greenway <Aere at Dvorak-Keyboards.com> wrote ----

On 03/21/2018 11:11 AM, Jerry Van Brimmer wrote:

Is there a way to force PCManFM to always use "Sort Files > Ascending > By Name" ?

 I can set the sort order to Ascending > By Name, but it doesn't stay that way. Every once in a while I'll click on some folder and it changes back to Descending > By Modification Time. Very annoying.

 I found on the web that this has been a long standing complaint about PCManFM.

 I found this workaround:

 ----

 You can use View > Sort Files to change the order in which PCManFM lists the files, but PCManFM won't remember that the next time you start it. To make it remember, go to Edit > Preferences and close. That will write your current sort_type and sort_by values into ~/.config/pcmanfm/LXDE/pcmanfm.conf.

 ----

 Found that here: http://tinyurl.com/phq7ska on the Arch Linux Wiki site. But that workaround doesn't always work.

 Is there a solution to this, or is this annoying problem by design?

I'm using Lubuntu 17.10.1 64bit fully updated.

Jerry:

If you choose the Folder View Mode of "Detailed List", you can control how the files are sorted by clicking on the heading (Name, Description, Size, or Modified) you want to sort by (and maybe a second time reverse the ascending/descending sort order).

It seems to remember the specified sort-order from that point on, even if you use the "Icon View" folder view mode, where you can't control what to sort on using the method described in the above paragraph.

-- Sincerely, Aere

Thanks Aere for the tip, I'll give it a try.

Cheers,

Jerry