[lubuntu-users] Remote desktop problem with Lubuntu 18.04

E James e_james at moladn.net
Tue Jun 12 06:44:54 UTC 2018

I could really use some advice in order to make a decision. I bought a new laptop and installed Lubuntu 18.04 and then I encountered an unexpected problem. I can't get it to work properly as a VNC server in my home network. I have other PCs in my network - 4 running Lubuntu 14.04, 1 running 13.10 and 1 running Mint 18. I have no problem with them. In all cases, so far, I am using x11vnc for the server and remmina for the client. With the new laptop (HP 255 G6) the connection proceeds as expected and everything seems normal until I click (remotely) on the word "File" in a window menu. Immediate disconnection. Sometimes x11vnc reports "stack smashing detected". Using "Live" versions of Lubuntu I have explored a number of situations with three laptops and a netbook. The problem always appears when 18.04 is running x11vnc except with the netbook running Lubuntu 13.10. I also have two Raspberry Pi Model 3Bs. According to hardinfo one is Debian GNU/Linux 8.0 and the other is Debian GNU/Linux 9.3. The one with 8.0 works fine but the one with 9.3 has the same problem as Lubuntu 18.04.

My problem is that I really want to connect remotely to the new laptop and what I have got so far is not good enough. Is there anything I can do to get a reliable remote desktop? At this moment the only workable option I can see is to install 16.04 instead of 18.04. I usually don't upgrade working systems - if it ain't broke... but I am inclined to use the latest software with new hardware unless I have reason to believe that it won't work well. Early indications suggest that 16.04 may present some problems with the wireless adapter, but I think I can work around that sort of difficulty more easily than the problem with x11vnc and 18.04.

Option 1 - Fix the problem with 18.04 and x11vnc.
Option 2 - Use different software for the remote desktop.
Option 3 - Install 16.04.

Recommendations please.