[lubuntu-users] GPS Recommendation(s) Requested

Eric Bradshaw ericbradshaw at computers4christians.org
Sat Jun 9 05:47:53 UTC 2018

My trusty Garmin just bit the dust about a week ago now. I had purchased it for $5 at a garage sale many years ago. I used Open Street Map maps on it, but had to limit the data as the HDD wasn't very big. I also enjoyed using different "vehicles" like R2D2, the Starship Enterprise and the Mystery Machine. My wife like the giant beach ball and a pair of flip flops.

Non of those things are particularly important for my replacement; I just want it to work with Lubuntu, as did the former Garmin. It opened like an extra HDD and it was easy to use PCManFM to replace/update the map(s) and add "vehicles."

I had a TomTom (my wife paid retail for) several years before the Garmin, but I seem to recall it was *not* easy to work with on Lubuntu. Maybe I'm mis-remembering and/or maybe it's gotten better.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get opinions on pros and cons of Garmins, TomToms or any other dedicated GPS out there (not at all interested in using my phone for this purpose) to that will/can work with Lubuntu, how easy it is, maybe how