[lubuntu-users] Lubuntu-users Digest, Vol 78, Issue 1

Fritz Hudnut este.el.paz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 16:17:55 UTC 2018

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 16:30:52 -0600
> From: Aere Greenway <Aere at Dvorak-Keyboards.com>
> To: Lubuntu Users <Lubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: [lubuntu-users] On Lubuntu 18.04,      is a 32-bit /home
>         compatible with a 64-bit home?
>
> I'm thinking of switching my 32-bit Lubuntu to 64-bit, when I go to
> 18.04.  The machine (in both cases - same machine) is 64-bit architecture.
>
> My idea is to restore (including hidden files) my 32-bit Lubuntu 16.04.4
> /home directory, currently backed-up using deja-dup, to a new Lubuntu
> 18.04 64-bit system.
>
> Can any of you think of any problems that could result from this?  Or
> perhaps files that should not be restored in this case?
>
> --
> Sincerely,
> Aere

Aere:

It should be that the installer will find your home directory if you use
the same username it should "work" . . . especially if it's Lubuntu to
Lubuntu.  We might have discussed some install problems going from one
distro to another and having a problem logging into the GUI account,
whereas using a TTY the log in name and password would work . . . .  All of
this might be easier if the /home partition is in a separate partition,
fresh file system install in the /root partition and so forth . . . .  Also
I believe that 64 bit can run 32 bit apps, but not vice versa . . . but, as
in all things linux, "go for broke, no guarantees" . . . .  : - )

Likely you could always get back into the old hard drive to access stuff .
. . it's interesting how long old HDs will soldier on even with sector
damage . . . .