[lubuntu-users] how to run the pkg updater from cmd line

Eric Bradshaw ericbradshaw at computers4christians.org
Wed Jan 31 13:09:29 UTC 2018

Lubuntu-17.10
lxde desktop

How does one run the gui updater that pops up on the desktop showing
available updates, from the command line.

If I ssh into the box how can I run that tool.  What is it called?

I would normally run `aptitude full-upgrade' but having done that I
see the updater does not agree and that there are still updates
available

Harry Putnam,

As far as I know, the tool is named APT for Advanced Packaging Tool.
When first setting up a computer (new install), the actual commands I
run are:

sudo apt update -y && sudo apt upgrade -y

But, in order to see everything available before agreeing, you can run:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

Or, run those commands one at a time:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

And to upgrade the OS itself (like, say, after a point release) I do:

sudo apt dist-upgrade

Or, add that to the first command:

sudo apt update -y && sudo apt upgrade -y && sudo apt dist-upgrade -y

Or, to see everything available, again take away the answers:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade && sudo apt dist-upgrade

As to SSH - I'd defer to the wisdom of other folks on this list.
*But, from what I understand from a quick DuckDuckGo search,
the single command that takes care of everything seems to be:

sudo do-release-upgrade

Eric Bradshaw
--

Thank You,