[lubuntu-users] How to display all boot msgs during boot

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Jan 28 05:27:55 UTC 2018

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
writes:

> https://askubuntu.com/questions/33416/how-do-i-disable-the-boot-splash-\
> screen-and-only-show-kernel-and-boot-text-inst
> https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2331376
> etc.

Thanks for that link. And I can report it does work/

> However, booting a modern Linux install from a SSD taking a look at the
> log files most of the times is more useful, than trying to follow the
> startup messages during startup ;). Actually booting my current Ubuntu
> or Arch Linux install from a SSD is that fast, that the displayed
> messages are seldom readable.

I may have a slight advantage, I've trained as a highly paid sniper
assassin for many years, and learned to watch quickly and count how
many spins per foot my .308 bullets made. ... if it was under 17, I
had to break down the rifle, get the barrel off and redo the rifling
with a very long and curved rat tail file.

It sometimes took 3 wks to get it right.  I'd try for 23 spins per
foot .. that would improve my accurace a good 24.593 percent.

I'm getting up in my 70's now so beginning to have a little trouble
telling the difference between 22.5 and 23 spins per foot... and it
makes a difference in the accuracy.

But still, during a boot up, I'm capable of freezing each line mentally
and reading it thoroughly.

Its only really about 119.2 lines per second even on the fastest SSD's.

I was capable of 2783.7 lines per second (last time I was tested [about
2 yrs ago]) so boot msgs are easy-squeezy.

My grand kids hate it when I read out loud to them.  They tell me that
instead of individual words all they here is a midrange extended whistle.

I guess that is kind of boring for them.