[lubuntu-users] Sunsetting i386

Fri Dec 21 01:42:18 UTC 2018

On 12/20/18 5:50 PM, Simon Quigley wrote:
> Full announcement is here:https://lubuntu.me/sunsetting-i386/
>
> The short version is that Lubuntu 19.04+ will no longer be released on
> the i386 architecture.

(sorry - I made a mistake in some dates I specified, in the prior e-mail)

I noticed in the link, that Lubuntu 18.04 LTS will be supported until
April 2021, which is 3 years (not 5).

I dug into this discrepancy, and found the following:

    The 'main' archive of /Ubuntu 18.04 LTS/ will be supported for 5
    years until April 2023. /Ubuntu 18.04 LTS/ will be supported for 5
    years for /Ubuntu/ Desktop, /Ubuntu/ Server, and /Ubuntu/ Core.
    /Ubuntu/ Studio /18.04/ will be supported for 9 months. All other
    flavors will be supported for 3 years.

This means that even though the main archive of 18.04 LTS is supported
until April 2023, where Ubuntu has no i386 desktop support (and Lubuntu
is apparently the only Ubuntu variant supporting i386 desktop), support
of 32-bit desktop in Ubuntu will end in 2021, rather than the expected
2023.

Please let me know if this is correct, or not.

--
Sincerely,
Aere