[lubuntu-users] About scanning for and turning wifi on/off

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Aug 10 22:34:28 UTC 2018

Equipment: Toshiba Satellite NB 151

I've run lubuntu on this laptop for many months but only ever used
ethernet.

What do I need to install or do to be able to scan for wifi networks.
How do I turn wifi on/off under Lubuntu

Details:
I probably should know how to do above but:

I rarely use this laptop. I decided to put Lubuntu on it rather than
the original windows OS.

I recall that when it had windows on it there was some method of
turning wifi on/off involving `cards' and the FN key.  Or perhaps that
was on another older laptop...  As you might guess, its been a long
time since the laptop had windows on it.  I've been running Lubuntu on
ethernet for many months and now would like to try some of the wifi available
around town, and perhaps do some computing while eating out or the
like.

When I start the laptop it tries to connect to wifi network at my
house and shows the two wifi networks but apparently the adapter is in
off mode or something since no connection happens.