[lubuntu-users] lubuntu

Sat Sep 9 15:17:11 UTC 2017

On 09/09/2017 08:56 AM, Mark F wrote:
> you installed Lubuntu. It would have failed without installing
> Lubuntu, too. <<<
>
> That could be. It just seemed strange that it happened twice (and to
> others). But, I suppose randomness means that could happen.

> hardware is used. If you need to replace a hard disk by another one
> (usually you don't get the same hard disk you bought years ago), a
> restored Windows XP won't run anymore. <<<
>
> I never experienced that. I moved Windows to other drives and it
> worked. I may have had to edit a bootinfo(?) file about the disks.
>
> My problem with dual boot was that I always ended up with an
> unbootable system. I don't recall all the details. They were all
> painful episodes which I have disassociated from. It seemed to have
> something to do with the MBR being jacked, or the Microsoft hidden
> partition(s) being affected somehow.
>
> I haven't run Windows in 2-3 years. No problems since.

Mark:

As I think more about it, there was a case where I installed Linux to
dual-boot on a computer for a friend, that comes to mind.

That machine (running Windows) was set up with some BIOS option, that
although I had created a Linux partition, Windows was not aware of it,
and would not use the GRUB loader.

On that system, I went into the BIOS setup, and turned off an option
(was it safeboot?), and then I could boot the Linux system (but not the
Windows system).

To boot Windows, I had to go into the BIOS setup, and turn the option
back on, in which case I could only boot Windows, but not Linux.

So (on that system) it was a hassle to go through to boot the other system.

I have not seen this situation again (it was years ago), but maybe it
depends on particular hardware or systems.