[lubuntu-users] Using Pentium 3 Machines on Lubuntu--posting from "the top"--ode to PPC <snif>

Fritz Hudnut este.el.paz at gmail.com
Mon May 15 00:24:43 UTC 2017

Now posting under the top . . . .

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Aere Greenway <Aere at dvorak-keyboards.com>
wrote:

> I was just glad to report how I had come up with a rather different way of
> making it work for me, and that it did work as a music workstation.
>
> I do lament the coming demise of all 32-bit machines, but I will move on,
> when it is necessary to do so.

Aere:

Yep, I was following what you were reporting . . . I was just commenting on
the "motivation" that is driving that inclination . . . keeping that "old"
hardware going . . . which I find admirable . . . but, time and technology
waits for no "man" or "woman" . . . in spite of how we manage to squeeze
play it.

@et al:

Thanks for the other comments and insights, to me the "ten year" mark seems
a little quick/short, but indeed after that seems like the machines have
built in obsolescence factor that is boring away . . . .  I wish I could
find good quality replacement parts for my PowerMac 3,1 that just found its
way to the Big Sleep for some yet undiscovered reason . . . it's under 20
years old and was more or less running fine until a "sudden" and un -
telegraphed demise . . . screen went black w/o any warning . . . .  It's a
tower and could be easy to access all parts, but seems like even if I could
find a mobo that worked, there would be some other compatibility issues
and/or HD plug problems . . . like now I have a bunch of data on the HD
that has an IDE plug set up . . . that a machine running OSX 10.6 with
Classic can launch, but, my new-ish 2012 Mac Pro . . . similar in hardware
to most Mac Pro's running back to '09 . . . but, won't itself run on
anything prior to OSX 10.7 . . . .

These little sys requirement problems keep adding up in complexity as time
builds on a machine and/or the "data" that is only "good" for a few years
until it become inaccessible . . . sad to see it disappear due to hardware
failure or software demanding more resources.

But, Ralf, I may try to get with you about a mobo replacement for my Mac
Pro in a couple years . . . .  if it makes it to 8 years, I'm going to try
to push it to . . . um, 12 . . . .