[lubuntu-users] Using Pentium 3 Machines on Lubuntu--posting from "the top"--ode to PPC <snif>

Sun May 14 17:03:23 UTC 2017

On 05/14/2017 10:46 AM, Fritz Hudnut wrote:
> top posting, for clarity and relaxation . . . .
>
> I am reminded of the trials and tribulations of "PPC" by this thread,
> we tried to keep what was/is functioning hardware viable by using
> software that was "lighter" and "lighter" . . . the problem with
> "technology" is that it's "like a shark, it has to move 'forward' or
> die . . ." . . . and hardware generally isn't able to "move forward"
> beyond a certain dollar driven point, i.e., it's cheaper to buy new
> than to keep upgrading the "old."
>
> And, so people and the devs, move on to other things.  Just like the
> motorola cpu driving PPC units, "pentium 3" is now or soon to be, "not
> supported" by the software in all likelihood, even Lu probably isn't
> considering that cpu as being "viable" . . . and, also as I discovered
> watching two or three of my PPC machines slowly drop out of linux
> support due to lack of cpu speed and RAM to meet the minimum specs . .
> . browsers and/or the internet seem to "need" at least 2 GB of RAM to
> do all the many tasks that the web demands . . . .  My iBook G4
> running Lu 16.04 PPC with 933MHz cpu and 612 MB RAM is just
> "befuddled" by trying to get around in any available browser--if all I
> wanted to do was word processing it would be fine.  If, while doing
> such writing, I would want to "check my email" using gmail via
> browser, that becomes a study in slo-mo frustration.
>
> On the other hand, the recently deceased PowerMac with an upgraded cpu
> and maxed out at 2GB RAM . . . could do a reasonable job as doing
> basic online tasks--but, the hardware finally fizzled . . . which
> seems to be the other problem with pushing old hardware . . . it
> breaks at some point.
>
> I'd say that obviously you are enjoying keeping your "old" hardware
> going by finding ways to do what newer tech does with ease . . . at
> some point either Lu will "drop" support or drivers for Pentium3, or
> the 512MB RAM will just not have the juice to do anything . . . and,
> the machines will just have one function--your music endeavors . . .
> until the "end of its days" and the mobo wheezes it's last sound byte
> . . . .  : - 0
>
> Sayonara PPC, we hardly knew ye . . . .

> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 5:00 AM,
> <lubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com
> <mailto:lubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com>> wrote:
>
>     Using Pentium 3 Machines on Lubuntu

Fritz:

Thank you for your well written and interesting response.

I sympathize with your viewpoint.

In writing my original e-mail of the stream, I wasn't asking that
Pentium 3 machines again be fully supported, though I do (as you) lament
their demise.

I was just glad to report how I had come up with a rather different way
of making it work for me, and that it did work as a music workstation.

I do lament the coming demise of all 32-bit machines, but I will move
on, when it is necessary to do so.

I will be putting out (sometime this year) a KeyMusician Newsletter
article an rescuing older machines, using them as musical instruments.

--
Sincerely,
Aere