[lubuntu-users] Bootable clone app for Lubuntu

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 09:14:10 UTC 2017

Hi Mark,

*Clonezilla*

I agree with Andre about cloning and Clonezilla. And I have been using
Clonezilla from 'stable' iso files burned to CD disks and cloned to USB
pendrives for years.

*One Button Installer*

If you want to transfer a system to a smaller drive, and the system
boots in BIOS mode (alias CSM alias legacy mode (opposite to UEFI
mode)), you can make a tarball with the One Button Installer, and then
use the One Button Installer to install it into the smaller drive.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OBI

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OBI/MakeOBItarball

*rsync*

Otherwise and in general, it is possible to copy the content of the
relevant partitions 'manually' with

sudo rsync -Havn source/ target

and after that match the content of /etc/fstab, /boot/grub/grub.cfg with
the partition UUIDs and finally install the grub bootloader. But it is
not straightforward.

Read the manual to learn the details about using rsync,

man rsync

Test with a 'dry run' and after that remove the option 'n' from the
rsync command line.

*Fresh installation*

But often it is actually easier and faster to make a fresh installation
of Lubuntu into the new drive. Afterwards you can install application
program packages, when you need them (there are probably several program
packages and tweaks in the old system, that you no longer use).

And you can copy the relevant personal data files from the old system to
the new system (for example with rsync). One way to do it is to keep the
home partition (or copy it) and point to it when installing the the new
system (select 'Something else' at the partitioning window of the
installer).

Best regards
Nio