[lubuntu-users] Packard Bell Easy Note Argo C2 (aka MZ 36) laptop

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 21:28:41 UTC 2017

Den 2017-08-26 kl. 22:55, skrev Ian Bruntlett:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been given this Windows Vista laptop to refurbish. It won't boot
> from USB. The optical drive believes that any CD-R or DVD-R or DVD-RWs
> that I attempt to access are all empty so I can't boot like that, either.
>
> I can still download files or copy them onto the hard drive via external
> USB device.
>
> One thing I could do is remove the hard drive, connect it to a working
> system and "do something" to get the lubuntu iso on to the hard drive,
> put it back in the laptop, boot the laptop from hard drive and install
> lubuntu by booting the laptop. Is this possible?
>
> BW,
>

> Ian
>
> --
> -- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
> -- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/
> -- Free Software page -
> https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software

Hi Ian,

Yes, it is possible. Installed Lubunut systems are portable if you avoid
proprietary drivers. You can use

- the Lubuntu standard installer (with a Lubuntu desktop iso file)

- the alternate installer (alias debian installer with a Lubuntu
alternate iso file or an Ubuntu mini.iso or an Ubuntu Server iso file)

- the One Button Installer [1] or

- extraction/cloning from a compressed image that works in both UEFI and
BIOS mode [2]

1. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OBI (this alternative works only in
BIOS mode, so suitable for old computers).

2. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/UEFI-and-BIOS (this
alternative is suitable for newer hardware with 64-bit capability).

Best regards
Nio