[lubuntu-users] usb tethering not working?

Basil Fernie basil at pop.co.za
Sat Sep 3 18:08:36 UTC 2016

Hi Marlon,

I use USB tethering most of the time, and have done for several versions
of Lubuntu, once nm-applet started working as desired. (Before that I
booted into Q4DOS for reliable connections.) But now both Lubuntu 16.04
and 16.04.1 work impeccably on several laptops around the house.

Yes, I connect through my cellphone's USB tethering facility. Yes, both
the laptop and the tablet show 3 or 4 local wifi points. Only 1 of them
is open for public use and that is the municipal streetpole-mounted one
about 70-80m from my house. It is not line of sight, and the signal is
too weak to use from here. If I want to use it I prefer to drive 600m
down the road to the municipal library which has relatively safe parking
and fewer contesting users so the data rate is sometimes not too bad.
But there is a daily cap of 500MB so I can't even download a small Linux
distro without using uget or similar over a couple of days. And the
practical rate is probably between 28kB/s to maybe 150kB/s. For serious
speed I need to crank up uget to accept 2 input channels, one of which
will be the vanilla wifi connection on the laptop, the other will be the
USB tether from my cellphone which is simultaneously downloading via
free wifi. Sometimes I will replace this wifi channel with plain old 3G
at my own expense, if the wifi situation is desperate. But whichever way
the signal is getting /into/
the phone, it will be getting to the laptop via USB. (Exceptionally, I
may enjoy 1MB/s.)

I do occasionally turn my phone into a wifi hotspot, if a couple of the
home laptops need to be downloading stuff simultaneously, but incoming
is still via 3G.
Point is, I have 3 or 4 different versions of Lubuntu which all work
fine with USB tethering. I don't like leaving the wifi hotspot password
lying around on the laptops in the connection dialogue settings because
I've had some serious Out Of Bundle overcharges incurred by this, and
USB tethering allows much  tighter financial control. For which to
happen, it needs to work - and it does. This e-mail will go out on a
through a USB tether, via LXLE 16.04.1LTS, FWIW.

Peace to you,
Basil