[lubuntu-users] Scanning thru network not working?

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 19:07:21 UTC 2016

On 09/02/2016 06:57 AM, Marlon Ng wrote:
> Two desktop computers, both connected to the same wifi.
>
> Desktop 1 is windows 7. An Epson L210 is connected to this machine via
> cable.
>
> Desktop 2 is Lubuntu 16.04.1.  This machine can print with the Epson
> L210 (which is connected to Desktop 1 via cable).  I suppose this is
> possible thru the installed smbclient, correct?  Desktop 1 needs to be
> running, obviously.
>
> Desktop 2, in addition to having this installed:
>
> epson-inkjet-printer-201207w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_i386.deb
>
> also has "iscan" installed. Although Lubuntu already comes with
> "Simple Scan".
>
> As stated above, network printing is possible.  But I get this error
> when running "Simple Scan":
>
> "No scanners detected.  Please check your scanner is connected and
> powered on"
>
> ....and this error when I run "iscan"
>
> "Could not send command to scanner. Check the scanner's status."
>
> Please note that network printing is only possible because I had to
> manually type in:
>
> smb://192.168.1.105/EPSON%20L210%20Series
> <http://192.168.1.105/EPSON%20L210%20Series>
>
> in the "Windows Printer via SAMBA" (which you can find when you click
> the +Add button in Printers app.
>
> I believe that is not the best way to do it? I'm not sure, but I think
> it used to be that I click "Find Network Printer" and type the ip
> address of the computer to which the Epson printer is connected
> (Desktop 1 / windows 7 machine), then it would be able to detect the
> printer and I would continue from there.
>
> I wonder if that has anything to do with the network scanning problem.
>
> In other words, network printing is possible only because of a
> workaround; the root of the problem seems unsolved, and so the network
> scanning problem is to be expected.  Am I wrong?
>
> Please also note that the following files are installed.
>
> cups
> sane
> smbclient
> samba
> cifs-utils
>
> Thanks for your time

Hi,

I have an HP DeskJet 3510 and scanning from WiFi works flawlessly and
requires no setup.  I use the gnome printer tool to set it up, and
'Simple Scan'

Not sure what to tell you other than it is definitely possible, and is
extraordinarily easy when you use HP.  I also did it previously with an
HP printer connected via an ethernet cable to my router.

You might try looking in the cups configuration to see if your printer
supports it.