[lubuntu-users] GUFW as default feature

Mark F azdays15 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 14:41:32 UTC 2016

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 5:44 AM, Eric Bradshaw <
ericbradshaw at computers4christians.org> wrote:

> I think it's a great idea to add GUFW [http://gufw.org/]. But, if that
> means something basic like CUPS will be removed (for the sake of fitting
> everything on a CD), never mind. Save GUFW for the "DVD version."

This reminds me of something I think about often: I wish there was a
"Welcome" application which displayed on first boot (and until the user
checkmarks "don't show me again."). This could show typical/recommended
"next steps." Like, my peeve about disabling the touchpad (using a hot key,
or syndaemon, or the package touchpad-indicator.). GUFW would be another
good add-on for new users.

I'm sure experienced users will detest this nag screen for the cripples,
living down to the lowest common denominator. But, I think it would be a
minor inconvenience to make it easier for Windows users to transition to
Linux (or at least Lubuntu). Mint does it. I think Mint's strong point is
that they focus more on the user experience, not purity. (But, Mint's
downside is that it lacks Ubuntu's experienced users as a support base. You
can end up stranded with Mint. It's those experienced people who are most
likely to object to the nag screen.).

Another problem is creation/maintenance. Information changes, packages fall
out of support. If the info was in a wiki, it would be easier for the
community to maintain it. Then, maybe the content could be extracted into a
"Welcome" screen.

It just seems to me like there's always this either/or proposition. "Yes,
there are good things that a typical user would want to install.... but we
can't burden everyone with that. It's easily configurable with just one
command." But, for the typical new user there's no *starting* point to find
those common config changes. They're dumped at the blank desktop, with
nothing but a browser and their own ability to imagine what to google for.

I think a "Welcome" screen would be very helpful for the average person, it
would help transition Windows users, and it's a minor inconvenience to
check "don't show me again." It could contain things like GUFW, etc. It
wouldn't be the binary "yes, that would be nice... but we have to keep the
distro small." (Keep it small and make the extras easier to identify as
recommendations.).