[lubuntu-users] Security on Lubuntu PCs/Laptops

Ian Bruntlett ian.bruntlett at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 13:42:26 UTC 2016

Hi,

(Intro)
I refurbish old PCs and laptops that people give me to refurbish and pass
on (free) to people with mental health problems, their carers or their
children. People give me unwanted hardware so I can do that. Sometimes I
scrounge parts. Sometimes I buy parts and pay for them personally.

(Refurbishing a computer)
I run memtest86+ on it to check the memory. Then I use dban to
comprehensively wipe the hard drive. Then I put Lubuntu on it. Also
installed are:- my illustrated guide to Lubuntu, LibreOffice, GIMP,
lubuntu-restricted-extras, gnome-games.

(Actual question)
Paul Chapple, one of my long-term lubuntu on a Dell laptop users asked me
about viruses on Linux. I do know that Linux server computers sometimes get
hacked over the Internet. I did a bit of research and found
https://www.linux.com/learn/myth-busting-linux-immune-viruses . After that,
is there anything else I should be aware of?

TIA,

Ian

-- Free Software page -
https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software